P'burg district watching numbers

More trailers not needed yet. But if enrollment projections are low, high school faces squeeze.
Monday, June 05, 2006 • By SARAH CASSI • The Express-Times

PHILLIPSBURG | Fifty students may not sound like many, but at Phillipsburg High School each new body is like adding water to an overflowing cup.

Earlier this year, officials were worried they would have to add to the existing 31 trailers at the Hillcrest Boulevard campus.

Assistant Superintendent Jacqueline Attinello anticipates a slight increase -- less than 50 students-- to the high school's current enrollment of 1,735. Administrators don't think they'll need to add portable classrooms to the high school for next year, at least not yet

Sending districts provide enrollment projections, but enrollment is fluid and changes over the course of a summer, Attinello said. A final decision will be made in November.

The high school's capacity without the trailers is a little more than 1,000 students, said Bill Poch, district business administrator. District officials had hoped to be well on their way outfitting a new high school by now. But state officials are wrestling with a tapped-out schools construction fund. Phillipsburg's new high school project is one of 97 that remain on hold.

Paying close attention

A long-term solution still won't help with the first day of school.

"We're watching the enrollment in the district carefully," Attinello said. "The fact that enrollment is not going up does not relieve us from the current situation we're in."

The first trailers were added to Phillipsburg High Boulevard in 1996, with the most recent portable classrooms added in 2003, said George Chando, director of secondary education.

If trailers are needed, the district has to apply for funding through a state grant.

"We're not sure they'll even provide the funding for" the trailers, Attinello said.

While officials brace for a growing student body's effect, school board officials are looking for ways to help speed construction of the proposed new high school to alleviate the crowding problem.

The new high school's $8 million preliminary site work has already been completed. That work includes construction of six athletic fields, parking lots and a three-quarter-mile entrance from Belvidere Road.

Still hopeful on new school

New school board President Paul Rummerfield said he wants the board to reach out to state legislators for their help in the next few months to start building the school.

Rummerfield said increasing local taxes to fund the proposed $88 million school hasn't been discussed. If the board did want to do that, Rummerfield said it would be subject to a referendum.

Other than reaching out to state officials, Rummerfield said the board has been waiting for information from the state.

State money in question

State Sen. Leonard Lance, R-Warren/Hunterdon, said he speaks with Superintendent Gordon Pethick and board members regularly.

"The School Construction monies have run out. The legislature has to address that issue," Lance said, adding he doesn't think the SCC issue will be resolved until state legislators resolve the state budget.

Lance said he understands district officials' frustration with the pace of things.

"I share that frustration. I think they've done everything they can do. I commend them," Lance said.

Board member Bernard Brotzman Jr. joined the Please Help Save Our School committee to fight for the high school. The ad-hoc committee has produced a brochure about the high school and Abbott district information.

Brotzman said there were discussions about establishing a foundation to accept private donations for the high school. Potential legal issues stopped the idea from moving beyond the discussion phase.

"I don't know what else we can do," Brotzman said.



Reporter Sarah Cassi can be reached at 610-258-7171 or by e-mail at scassi@express-times.com.
© 2006 The Express-Times. Used with permission.

Return to Articles page